Gorillaz have shared their latest collaboration with Robert Smith, landing on the moon with ‘Strange Timez’.
The new single with The Cure’s front man is the latest track from the their Song Machine Series. It is the sixth episode of Season One and presents the band travelling through space and time in an intergalactic video, directed by the band’s animator Jamie Hewlett.
The song starts with an abstract synth intro which introduces the legendary frontman, reminiscing on memories from The Cure’s electronic days and the Japanese Whispers era. The intro then builds up to a “Cure-esque” chorus: “Spinnin’ around until the Sun comes up. Strange time to see the light” sings Smith, as the synths echo and his face appears superimposed over the moon on the video.
Gorillaz have also revealed they will share a collection of the Series. Song Machine: Season One – Strange Timez is scheduled for release on 23 October and will include all of their successful collaborations so far, including contributions from artists such as Elton John and Beck.
The collection will be released on CD, vinyl and cassette, as well as deluxe box sets. Furthermore, a 210-page Almanac will also be released on the same day.
You can watch the ‘Strange Timez’ video and see the full track list for the upcoming collection below.
SONG MACHINE, SEASON ONE – STRANGE TIMEZ
1. Strange Timez (ft. Robert Smith)
2. The Valley of The Pagans (ft. Beck)
3. The Lost Chord (ft. Leee John)
4. Pac-Man (ft. ScHoolboy Q)
5. Chalk Tablet Towers (ft. St Vincent)
6. The Pink Phantom (ft. Elton John and 6LACK)
7. Aries (ft. Peter Hook and Georgia)
8. Friday 13th (ft. Octavian)
9. Dead Butterflies (ft. Kano and Roxani Arias)
10. Désolé (ft. Fatoumata Diawara) (Extended Version)
11. Momentary Bliss (ft. slowthai and Slaves)
12. Opium (ft. EARTHGANG)
13. Simplicity (ft. Joan As Police Woman)
14. Severed Head (ft. Goldlink and Unknown Mortal Orchestra)
15. With Love To An Ex (ft. Moonchild Sanelly)
16. MLS (feat. JPEGMAFIA and CHAI)
17. How Far? (ft. Tony Allen and Skepta)